Monday, December 6, 2010

USA

Well, it's over. Its been a little over 3 months and Im back in the United States. I was so excited to hear English being spoken to me at the airport I didn't even realize I was standing in an unathorized area at JFK. Being back in the states feels great but I also miss Spain. There were so many things that I missed while there and now that Im back there are so many things I miss from Spain...mainly food. But the saying is so true, "You always want what you don't have."

Unfortunetly, because of the air traffic controllers strike in Spain most of my group didn't make it home with me. Only 2 out of 10 were on the plane to JFK yesterday. After standing in lines all morning for hours I was glad to get out of that country...the last thing I want to do is speak Spanish while Im frustated and stressed.

During the landing my friend and I recalled stories, memories of all the things we did in Spain and some things we regreted not getting to do. All of a sudden we looked out the window and there was New York...just like we had never left. It felt as though nothing had changed when I walked into my house and sat down at the table with my parents and brother for dinner. I find confort in the fact that no matter how long youre away you can always come home to a comfy familiar place.

So now its back to reality, facing the responsibilities and tasks I left unfinished when I took off for Europe. My adventures in Spain are done but I have a feeling I'll be back someday. Leaving my senora tearing up as she hugged me goodbye only led me to my father tearing up as he hugged me hello. One adventure ends, and another begins. ITS CHRISTMAS TIME.

Living in a different country and having the opportunity to see a different part of the world made me appreciate the country I live in. I'm happy to be home.

Hasta la Proxima, Espana...

No comments:

Post a Comment